<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 24, 2003

A Very Important Christmas Message... 

So I have another thought to mention today. Lately I've been thinking about how much needs to be done to improve healthcare, homelessness, and the plight of those affected by AIDS around the world. I was also struck with the realization of how different our rich nation and the poorest nations truly are. Take for example what each values for Christmas. While children here in the US grumble at a nice new outfit given as a Christmas gift, children in other countries find it to be the best gift they have ever been given... and quite possibly the only gift that they will ever receive in their life. Christmas drives in other countries focus on food and clothing to keep children alive. Here we emphasize how incredibly important it is that every child receive a shiny new toy for Christmas. A toy. While I love shiny new things and technological advances and this cable internet connection that is allowing me to share this thought right now, I am still struck by how sad and shamefully different things can be within the same world. We are all living together in the same time, on the same world, with the same basic necessities, yet an outsider would never be able to tell. We are just so damn rich and they have n-o-t-h-i-n-g. While I don't want to ruin anybody's Christmas and I hope everyone has a fabulous time opening presents, I also hope that you feel especially grateful this year and say a little prayer for those whose Christmas day was no different than any other because they have nothing and got nothing. Feel thankful that you live in the richest country in the world. Feel thankful that you are not one of the thousands of homeless people whose needs are ignored in the richest country in the world. Feel thankful that you were not born in a poor country to a destitute family. Treat this Christmas as another Thanksgiving and count your blessings. These injustices are why I want to change the world. They are why I will make a difference. I only pray that I do. Merry Christmas to all. I love you.


|



The official stuff...


© VS 2003-2005

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com