<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Financial aid... 

So after a terrible day yesterday at school, leaving early to save what little sanity was left only to be bombarded with more stress from my mom calling, being re-traumatized by finances (happens every time my mom talks to me about money... I seriously may need therapy or a financial advisor who can be like a money therapist), and having a monstrous hysterical breakdown on the phone with J as a result, I felt like a freight train had hit me this morning. My eyes were so screwed up from bawling that it hurt to open them, and they would spontaneously close when I turned on the lights. I was afraid of what was to come from today.

Luckily, I forced my eyes open enough to drive to work, and managed to keep them open there. After waiting around for my supervisor for a little while, I head over to the main office to discover that she got really sick overnight and wasn't able to come in today. Sad, but at least it gave me a little more time to be productive. I registered with some online apartment moving websites, searched some apartments, and found a couple that might be safe AND affordable (OMG!). Then I pulled out the research for my policy analysis that's due Monday and has yet to be started (or researched beyond clicking print on a couple websites). I was able to at least read the policy that I'm writing about and get through some of the articles. (Unfortunately, I discovered after the fact that most of the research has to be governmental so I can't use most of what I've found.) I still felt pretty crappy and had to go by the financial aid office to beg for help and money, so I made the decision to let myself leave early, told the secretary (as if anyone would really come looking for me anyway), and left. I must have torn through the streets because I left around 2:30, got home (which is usually a good 15 minutes when I usually drive it), stopped at a video store to get the latest apartment guide, parked a few blocks away (nearest available parking), sorted out my stuff and picked out my FAFSA info, and was halfway to the building (walking through a long block with a park and parking lot nonetheless) by 2:45. I know you guys don't really care, but I was muy impressed because I never make that kind of time when I really NEED to. The lady at financial aid was nice, but they hadn't received my SAR yet so I have to try calling in a week. She did say they should be able to help me out with something, but I have a feeling it will be helping like "here's a pamphlet on this loan. Fill it out." Oh well, at least it's kinda sorta financial advising about the whole thing. And THANK THE LORD, the aid award works for summer school as well!!! The FAFSA people (the national ones) had said it wouldn't kick in until July and wouldn't be good for Fall so I was feeling really screwed. But luckily I get it! In a way it's also nice to not have to dwell on that problem for another week so I can at least get this paper written first. It also sounds like I may either be able to find some affordable housing after all or Mo and I may find a place together. Yay for options!

---------------
On a non-me note, I found a couple more wonderful websites. One that gives incredible information on homelessness is the National Coalition for the Homeless. I'm working on the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Improvements Act of 2001, and this website was an amazing jackpot for knowledge. (Mo, check it out! And if you ever need to advocate for MW kids to get fair educational treatment, let me know. This act is their biggest advocate.) The Finance Project is another good site, and especially the Welfare Information Network and the section on homelessness. The National Center for Homeless Education also has good info, although their website only seems to work every couple times I try to access it. I think that's it for now, but I know I'm always finding great sites and forgetting to add them to my sidebar. I'll add these another night. It's late and I get up early. *UPDATE* I forgot another good site! Homes for the Homeless: The Institute for Children and Poverty should have more good info. Ok, back to working at work!

P.S. Keep them in your prayers.


|



The official stuff...


© VS 2003-2005

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com