<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, March 25, 2004

Revelations... 

So I had a couple revelations this week. Today as I was working with the group of 6th grade girls I realized that my roommate might as well be one of them. They all want to be strongly independent, yet still need somebody to hold their hand. They want to act like they're grown-up until life hits them, and then they freak out and want advice. They want to be taken seriously, yet can't understand the concept of being considerate to another or cleaning up before leaving. So it's like I'm taking work home with me every damn day. The roommate has yet to clean up the common area without explicit instruction. She also left a skillet sitting with oil and overcooked beef bits for over a MONTH. At first I let it go, figuring she could have a hectic week and just have forgotten about it. Then it was 3 weeks with nothing done. So I left a note asking her to please clean it up, and reminding her that it could damage the skillet and it was expensive (it was mine of course). Every day she would move the dry erase board out of her way (so she obviously saw it), but still refused to clean it. This morning I was so sick of it, and since I didn't have the time to take drastic measures (and had enough foresight to see that it could provoke WWIII), I wrote a new note: "CLEAN THE SKILLET!!!!!!!!!" She made progress... she dumped the rancid crap, but when I touched it, it was still coated in grease. Talking to J yesterday, we decided that talking to her about it was a bad idea since she is such a psychotic sensitive bitch, but he would talk to her boyfriend the next time he saw him... you know, "man to man" saying that he might want to mention to her that she needed to pull her share because he (J) was tired of cleaning up after her and I sure as hell was. We'll see if it ever happens. Thankfully, I hardly ever see her. Let's all have a moment of prayer for her to move out in May rather than extend her lease through August. Thank you.

Now the other revelation. For about 15 minutes yesterday I considered moving to DC after I finish grad school so I could be an advocate for the homeless. Finding all this amazing info has really pumped me up and made me want to get out there and do something about it. I seriously want to advocate for homeless children so they don't get screwed over by the school system. The McKinney Vento act I mentioned below protects them, but I know not all schools actually take it to heart. I didn't seriously think about the move since I have some serious ties to this area, but now I'm slightly reconsidering that. The friends I mentioned it to yesterday totally supported it, one said she wanted to join me actually, and J could move with me if he wanted. Mo, you could so do that with me! At any rate, I still have a little while to figure out what to do, and I'm sure I'll want to save the world in a hundred different ways by graduation time, but I really do want to make a difference for these people. They need a voice, and I'd love to give it to them.

Finally, I think I might work on a "100 things you don't know about me" kind of page and maybe another on the "things I've learned" that can be added to as I think of more. If you see the links on my Wall of Fame, then check them out! Ok, off to read more research on protecting homeless youth! <3

P.S. Keep them in your prayers.


|



The official stuff...


© VS 2003-2005

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com