<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Diversity and prejudice... 

Quickie entry tonight. Want to keep people visiting, but don't have much time tonight (or many thoughts!). But we talked about diversity and prejudice tonight in our class from hell. What's sad is that we came to the conclusion that we still live in a society where people hold all kinds of irrational prejudices. People hate people. If you're too fat, too skinny, too ugly, too pretty, too light, too dark, too smart, too dumb, too tall, too short, too rich, too poor, too religious, too anti-religion, too feminine, too masculine, too absolutely anything. It really is sad. Even the most average run-of-the-mill person can think of a time in which he/she has been treated with prejudice. I've had people tell me to my face that they hate me because I'm skinny. Or pretty. Or smart. Or claimed that I wasn't really Christian because of my denomination. Or they've hated me for reasons that I can't even try to figure out. I know there are always some people who just don't get along with you, which is probably the case for the last example, but hating me for traits that really don't have much bearing on my personality without getting to know me... that sucks. I also know I only receive a tiny fraction of the prejudice that many other people face on a daily basis. That makes my heart ache for them. How can people hate so easily? I mean, if you must hate, then at least get to know the person and find a really good, valid reason to dislike them at least. They ran over your beloved pet and laughed about it... yeah, feel that anger and that loss. But hate a good person just because they're different from you? No. There is no "norm" anymore. Have to get to bed for another early morning tomorrow. Hope this entry gave you something to think about even if it was short and rambling. Feel free to share thoughts in the comments or via email if it's too personal. I'd love to be intrigued...

P.S. Keep them in your prayers.


|



The official stuff...


© VS 2003-2005

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com