<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Tact... 

i never thought i cared about tact before. however, now that i work with people who enjoy having no tact in conversations with me, i am realizing that tact is an underestimated virtue.

people who just bluntly ask me personal questions with obvious disdain in their voice.
how much do you weigh?
how old are you?
(this was a lovely twist) how old is your mother?
i could be your mother.
you look all of 13.

really people, i do love being uncomfortable, feeling awkward for being myself. how did you know? if you're jealous, don't take it out on me. if you despise me, keep it to yourself. if you think i'm doing a bad job, cut me a little slack since i'm the new girl.

it's one thing when it's your friends being blunt with you. it's an entirely other thing when it's people who are virtually strangers or coworkers who just pretend to know you. and it's also different when it's mean personal attacks like that versus just being honest. it's the difference between saying that i'm thin to saying they hate me because i'm skinny to wanting an exact pound to height ratio or body mass index number. scenario 1 i'll just be a little self-conscious, the second i'll think "and i hate you too because that's not really a compliment," and the third makes me think that i could reduce the awkward-factor by parading around naked.

anyway, that was just a little rant i need to get off my chest.


|



The official stuff...


© VS 2003-2005

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com